The Panbo Forum

Return to Panbo Forum main page »

Haro-san

Inverter w/ ATS panel

Vote 0 Votes

This has been addressed somewhat in topic "3-way Transfer for power". Right now my emphasis is the front-side of a panel. If I can't understand that, I'll never get through the wiring side. "Blue Sea discontinued an 8085 panel that uses 'source-off-generator' switch and sub-panel for what I see as a near-perfect solution to an inverter install. The panel interface is simple & idiot-proof... the theory and wiring understandable. Now I want to add a second 30-amp shore as another source. They suggested the 8086 panel (it solves the dual shore issue and the parallel switch solves the 'at dock w/ only 1 30-amp' issue through use of 2 buses). At that point the help ended :-) and 'I hit the wall,' passing my level of expertise. I thought 'no problemo' I'll just add the inverter wiring from panel 85 to 86. Oops. That breaks the 'only one source on one circuit at time' rule (I THINK). The inverter would be feeding a panel with potentially the second shore source or the buses paralled to whatever was selected on first leg (Shore 1 or geneator... I THINK) But I find the panel less than intuitive. Although there is a second shore source, from an interface point of view, I don't really care because the ATS will sense power and just pass it through to the subpanel. So 2 questions:
1) Would the 'shore-off-generator' still work (with wiring stuff hidden from user). If 'can't do' what would work (remember, idiot-proof).
2) How do you breaker shore 2.
NOTE: I'm just in planning stages of a rewire,so equipment somewhat open (but I 'be' boat broke' :-) ) Design is to have 50 amp available from shore, generator, then inverter/ house bank, with as little manual 'what can I turn on' as possible. So far, I like Honda EU2000i paralleled, Vitron Inverter/charger w/ ATS, 50 amp to 2-30amp Y and 2 30 amp shore cords. I don''t think I can fit more than 4 group 31 batteries though. It would be nice to have everything automatic, but it's a stretch to do just the above, so I assume I can't afford 'automatic'.
Thanks for the assist...