The Panbo Forum

Return to Panbo Forum main page »

Sheldon Haynie

Racer/Cruiser B&G system issues

Vote 0 Votes

New Member, Upgrading a bunch of instruments on a classic 40' CCA design racer/Cruiser for daysailing on SF Bay, cruising the delta and near short North Pacific.. Please move if in the wrong place.

Thinking of B&G TRiTON Speed/Wind/Depth/Temp sensors as the backbone from the Main mast coming aft towards the cabin/Helm under the floor boards above the bilge.

A Triton High Current Pilot with RC42N feeding a Zeus2 at the binnacle, and an auxiliary Vulcan plotter on the cockpit bulkhead, with a 4G Radar on the Mizzen at spreaders (to display on the Zeus2), as well as feeding a forward/side scan sonar from a legacy Interphase transducer to the video port on Zeus, augmented by a B&G forward scan through a sonar bridge. Toss in a new V50 VHS for AIS receiver with antenna at Mizzen mast head and probably a Sound bridge and use iPads and iPhones for auxiliary displays, and to run Regatta for racing.

Questions:
Will the new NMEA2k Sensors likely fit in the old B&G Through hulls?
(had port/starboard speedo/log, would go with one depth/speed/temp and one forward scan. )

Will the Vulcan replace a Wifi-1 and an external GPS? or do I need both for the Pilot & Zeus to navigate ?

Does the separate WiFI-1 allow me to echo Radar/Video off the Zeus2 or just relay the chart feed & NMEA strings to an iPad

Does the Vulcan's Sonar input work with the Sonar bridge/Forward scan, or is that a video signal that needs to go on the Zeus?

Does the Triton system make use of heel either from a clinometer or the RC42 to compensate TWA/TWS as well as predict Leeway?

13 Replies

• Hi Sheldon. I'm happy to comment off the hip, but please don't make decisions without more research and please consider getting a good professional installer/adviser involved.

"Will the new NMEA2k Sensors likely fit in the old B&G Through hulls? (had port/starboard speedo/log, would go with one depth/speed/temp and one forward scan.)"

Likely but not sure. A whole lot of transducers like these are in the same size and often Airmar-made casings. However, the FowardScan transducer must be very near vertical to both fore and aft and thwartships planes, so fairing blocks may be required. I'd consider putting the FS ducer where the Interphase currently is, or waiting on FS until you see if the Interphase via Zeus2 video input really works for you.

"Will the Vulcan replace a Wifi-1 and an external GPS? or do I need both for the Pilot & Zeus to navigate? Does the separate WiFI-1 allow me to echo Radar/Video off the Zeus2 or just relay the chart feed & NMEA strings to an iPad"

All of the boat's N2K data will go to both Zeus and Vulcan and will also be available to apps via either Vulcan WiFi or WiFi-1. So one GPS, one Heading source, one Depth etc. will do it all. Also whatever is on the Vulcan screen can be mirrored in the B&G app and same for the Zeus if you have a WiFi-1. But since radar, video, and ForwardScan will only appear on Zeus2, you'll need a WiFi-1 to see them on a tablet.

"Does the Vulcan's Sonar input work with the Sonar bridge/Forward scan, or is that a video signal that needs to go on the Zeus?"

Neither. The Vulcan can only do regular sonar and downscan. For ForwardScan you need the SonarHub, which will connect to the Zeus2 via Ethernet (not video).

"Does the Triton system make use of heel either from a clinometer or the RC42 to compensate TWA/TWS as well as predict Leeway?" I doubt it; afraid that's H5000 territory.

Again, please don't take my thoughts as gospel. Check and check again to avoid surprises!

• Thanks, I also got reply from B&G service. Have modified my thinking to have 2x Zeuss2 as radar/Sonar(video) displays and am now looking at the Vulcan as only an NMEA repeater/independent chart display. Probably would put it over the skipper's berth if I was making passages.

• Hello Ben,
    Don't try to integregate a Vulcan into a system with a Zeus2. They don't play well together and you cannot share waypoints/routes from one to the other. The problem is that the Vulcan does not come with an Ethernet connector for directly connecting to the Zeus. I made this mistake and now am planning on replacing the Vulcan.
    John

• John, I've never tested a Vulcan but would be quite surprised if it didn't share NMEA 2000 sensor data fine with Zeus2 or other MFDs.

But it's true that routes are mysterious and annoying these days. Most brands seem to use Ethernet tho I believe that there are also NMEA 2000 PGNs for routes.

• I see that this thread is pretty old. Is there any update on how things worked out?
    I am making a similar upgrade to my Downeaster 38 (also on the SF Bay).
    I am especially interested to learn more about the use of a Vulcan 5 on a N2K network along with a Zeus2 7 (and 3G radar). I realize that without Ethernet capability the V5 will not see the radar images, but would think that the wind/water/GPS data would show up properly and the GoFree app on an iPad connected to the V5's WiFi would see these basic measures, too.
    Anyone with experience in such a mix please let me know.
    Fair winds
    Bob

• Generally things have gone well.

As of 1/20/17 I have had problems only with the Precision 9 compass seeming to recently die, and my V50/H50 refusing to pair after an upgrade. Service through B&G tech support and local dealer (Eric Steinberg at Farallon) has been good. You get what you pay for in service.

I use the 4G radar, displayed on a Zeus2/12" and also on my ipad via GoFree. It's been useful to be able to be down below while on autopilot on the bay and have the radar displayed as I was cleaning out the paddlewheel due to fouling, or on a quick trip to the head. On a passage I would expect that having the Ipad as a berth display would make sense.

Be aware that the Radar uses broadcast packets and I had configuration issue when I had been initially running it through a non Navico Switch. Re-plumbing my ethernet, so that the Radar fed the SonarHub, (which has three ethernet ports) acted as a switch to Zeus and gofree, with the other non navico switch on the far side of the Zeus2 to handle the connection to H5000 and low bandwidth traffic.

Regarding N2k over wifi, I run Iregatta on ipad/iphone/apple watch, and also use Expedition on my laptop, with VentusPro echoing it on my iphone/ipad with no issues that were not my own ignorance. Display of N2k data on all platforms has been straightforward.

• Good to hear, Sheldon. I was going to say that I think Bob's assumptions are correct though I haven't used a Vulcan or Go 5, and I think somewhat confirmed that. I believe that the NMEA 2000 features of NOS (Navico operating system) are very similar across the bigger displays (and apparently NOS is also driving Triton 2).

• I have sent an email to Navico tech support, but no answer yet. Will call them in the morning.
    Bob

• I spoke with a tech support guy at Navico this morning and he said that a Vulcan 5 on a N2K network would display any of the data on the network, but would not see "pictures" created on a Zeus2 display. Routes, for example would not be seen, but the actual track of the boat would show. This is what I would expect, and is acceptable for me since the Vulcan is meant to be a secondary display. A wi fi network created by the Vulcan should allow an iPad to see either the Vulcan or the Zeus2. This sounds good enough for me to proceed to hook up these gizmos and go sailing! If any one has alternative facts please let me know!

• Bob, The Vulcan's WiFi will only show you the Vulcan's screen, because no Ethernet to Zeus2. You'd have to add a WiFi1 to get the Zeus2 out on WiFi and it would be a separate WiFi connection.

I forgot about routes, which are confusing. They could be passed around on N2K, I believe, but all the manufacturers seem to use Ethernet.

• OK Ben. Thanks for the correction. What you say makes sense. I'll probably add the Wi Fi 1 soon anyway. Main thought behind the V5 was to have a MFD at the chart table instead of a second Triton 2 instrument display. A second Zeus2 would be even better and not a lot more money. No end to this business is there?
    Cheers
    Bob

• No end to this business... Ha.. you made a funny. Wife was "amused" that I spent more on B&G electronics than she did on house remodel (her math)

I would suggest that you visit a West Marine or similar and look at the 7,9,12" displays (Simrad will be there, likely not B&G) and decide if you can "Read" them at the distance you will be away. Wife and I decided that the 7" was not readable by > 60 yr old eyes at more than a few feet.

Went with the 12" for that reason, as with a box for the instruments on the side the radar/chart section gets pretty small pretty fast. Bought my stuff from Farallon, not cheapest price, but definitely best service, your leeway may vary. The plumbing bits/pieces for the N2K connections and Navico ethernet plugs adds up rather rapidly as well. Maretron has a nice utility for planning out your loads.

If you want to view what I have and discuss in any detail, you can reach me at [email protected], Will be at boat on Sunday AM for a PM race, happy to show/tell/explain my choices.

• I have seen the B&G displays at the local West Marine and think that the 7" will do fine for my modest needs. The V5, on the other hand is only meant as an alternative to a Triton display giving GPS track as well as normal wind and water data. Originally I was going to keep the legacy Garmin chart plotter and put a Triton next to it. The V5 would use the new B&G GPS unit over the N2K network so I could remove the Garmin's GPS from the stern rail. I have already bought both the V5 and the Zeus2 7 but I might return the V5 and get a second Z2 7 for the chart table. That would eliminate the issues of having a V5 on the same network as the main Z2 7. Decisions, decisions. Time to act!
    Bob