The Panbo Forum

Return to Panbo Forum main page »

Bo Collier

Monitor cost vs Quality - real or perceived

Vote 0 Votes

Searching for monitors for a pilot house I have found many sources with monitors at much less cost than the typical name brand units. If anyone has experience with these I would appreciate your input.
1) Stealth.com - LCD Monitors, then Marine LCD's
http://www.stealth.com/marine_computing.htm
2) KEP.com - KEP Marine, then Recreational, then Low Cost Monitors
http://www.kepmarine.com/commercial-marine/KEPlite-displays.html
3) Green Marine Monitors - AWM Series II Monitors
http://greenmarinemonitors.com/awm_series_ii.html

I built a spreadsheet to compare each of these monitors across all primary attributes. Although a post by the founder of Green Marine attributed their higher cost to an improved panel I can see no difference between these monitors except that Sealth only has a 1-year warranty. Green Marine does not have touch displays.

Compare the location and function of front controls on each monitor and you quickly find they all match precisely. Check connections on the back and you find the same, except for lack of USB on Green Marine and power connection on Stealth and KEP are screw terminals while Green Marine has plug that screws on.

So far I am leaning hard toward the Stealth monitors. 19-inch all weather, 1,000 NIT, 1280 x 1024 for $2,995 vs. Green Marine 19-inch at $5,495.

I have spent more hours than I care to recall studying all these (and more) monitors. Is the 'get what you pay for' a truism or is $3,000 for a 19-inch monitor a reasonable price?

4 Replies

• Bo,

You are doing a great job on your LRC. Have you looked at www.setsail.com to see what Steve Dashew is using for monitors. I think his approach was to buy standard (non-marine) monitors for much lower cost and to replace them as needed -- still saving lots.

All the best

Don

• Bo,

I am doing the exact same spreadsheet. My new helm has some space constraints so I am looking at 15" and 17" monitors. I have also looked at Planar, 3M, Elo and a few "custom" kiosk monitors. I have been using a 3M multi-touch for a season and the only difference has been the power controls are not on the front.

Are you planning to use a Crestron input switch for swipe change?

I have spoken with Dell, Lenovo and HP about even a 15" or 17" All-In-One PC that could be VERSA mounted.

• HenryD,

You got me on the Crestron switch... I'm familiar with switching but this looks like an app based product and I'm not so sure (also, admittedly have zero knowledge of this company's technology). My plan is to put a 24" split screen monitor in the center with two 12" monitors, one set on each side of the 24". One 12" is reserved for Maretron digital gauges, monitors, and alerts. The other 12" will be a MFD, like maybe my Furuno from the bridge, so I can have Nav data from a unit not dependent on my PC's furuno software that will run on the middle 24". The only switching is to change the MFD from Nav mode to display my onboard cameras. I'll be in Miami later today with a focus on solving this monitor issue. I can use the Stealth in the pilot house but they don't make covers for their waterproof marine displays so I'm looking at another solution for the fly bridge.

I have come across numerous companies that make an all-in-one PC that seem well suited for marine applications. Stealth is just one of them. I too looked at the All In 1 PC's and I'm just not too crazy about my PC and monitor being wrapped in the same plastic shell. But there are so many choices it's pretty confusing unless you spend a lot of time. If it was just one or two monitors I would hold my breath and drop the cash Furuno and Hatteland ask for their high end displays, but I'm looking at three to four in the PH and two on the FB. We're already spending like a street dweller with a $10 million lottery win, so I've got to seek compromise someplace.

Miami here I come...

• HenryD,

You got me on the Crestron switch... I'm familiar with switching but this looks like an app based product and I'm not so sure (also, admittedly have zero knowledge of this company's technology). My plan is to put a 24" split screen monitor in the center with two 12" monitors, one set on each side of the 24". One 12" is reserved for Maretron digital gauges, monitors, and alerts. The other 12" will be a MFD, like maybe my Furuno from the bridge, so I can have Nav data from a unit not dependent on my PC's furuno software that will run on the middle 24". The only switching is to change the MFD from Nav mode to display my onboard cameras. I'll be in Miami later today with a focus on solving this monitor issue. I can use the Stealth in the pilot house but they don't make covers for their waterproof marine displays so I'm looking at another solution for the fly bridge.

I have come across numerous companies that make an all-in-one PC that seem well suited for marine applications. Stealth is just one of them. I too looked at the All In 1 PC's and I'm just not too crazy about my PC and monitor being wrapped in the same plastic shell. But there are so many choices it's pretty confusing unless you spend a lot of time. If it was just one or two monitors I would hold my breath and drop the cash Furuno and Hatteland ask for their high end displays, but I'm looking at three to four in the PH and two on the FB. We're already spending like a street dweller with a $10 million lottery win, so I've got to seek compromise someplace.

Miami here I come...