The Panbo Forum

Return to Panbo Forum main page »

Smitski

AIS Receivers for RayMarine C70 MFD

Vote 0 Votes

Hello Knowledgeable Ones!
I'd like to add AIS capability to my RayMarine system and I'm currently smitten with "Analysis Paralysis". After owning a '75 Ericson 23 with basic electronics (Depth, Speed, VHF) for many years, we purchased a '97 Catalina 320 with copious amounts of RayMarine electronics installed by the previous owner. The MFD is a RayMarine C70 classic series. At first, I thought it would be easy, and desirable, to add a RayMarine AIS500 into the Seatalk bus. As I became more enlightened on the RayMarine hardware, I found that the AIS500 is not supported on the C series Seatalk bus (only Seatalkng)and I would need to provide NMEA 0183 input to the C series MFD. After a few Email exchanges with RayMarine support made me feel like an idiot for asking some simple connectivity questions about connecting THEIR AIS Transceiver with THEIR C series MFD, I've come to the understanding (I think) that I could hook anyone's AIS device to the C70 via the NMEA input because that's it's only option. (It's amazing to me that RayMarine doesn't have a specific hookup kit/guide for their own products with cabling, connectors, etc... All they have is the wiring harness that comes out of the device with bare NMEA wires and a simple diagram...) The AIS500 is expensive too. My Better-Looking-Half thinks we could make due with just an AIS receiver. I guess I have to agree. So I noticed the reference to the Digital Yacht's AIS200 series in this blog. It looks like the AIS200Pro may be a great choice for me. I'd also like to get the AIS data on my laptop. I bought the RayMarine PC-Seatalk-NMEA device (E85001) but haven't installed it yet. My ultimate goal is to have all the Seatalk NMEA data and the AIS NMEA data available on the PC. If anyone out there has had this kind of environment or goal with a core of RayMarine C series hardware, I'd like to know what your experiences and recommendations are. Thanks in advance...
~Smitski

7 Replies

• I'm going through the same thinking process at the moment. Initially I thought I'd opt for a receiver only like you.

On further reflection I think I will get a transponder instead. The prices of transponders have tumbled and are quite affordable - a few hundred more than a receiver. For me too it will need to be NMEA0183 but that isn't a problem, just a few more wires to hook up.

Wouldn't you rather that the big ship travelling 18 knots or more see's and avoids you rather than hope that you notice them and can maneuver out of the way?

Also, I suspect that a lot of smaller craft will be getting AIS equipment over the next few years. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to be seen by them, know who they are, their speed and course at night or in inclement weather?

Don't get too frazzled thinking about the NMEA0183 connectivity - it's really quite simple unless you need to craft a more complex solution with a multiplexer. And even then there is plenty of help and advice available here if you get stuck. 183 has been around for a long time, is well understood and has few mysteries left.

• Thanks for your inputs RoyHB... I think you're right about ponying up for the Transceiver. Which one did you go with? I was looking at the Digital Yacht ZDIGAIT1000 transceiver a little bit ago. Looks like it runs around $700. It has USB computer connectivity in adition to the NMEA I need for the C70 MFD. The RayMarine AIS500 is over $1K and I would need to convert the serial interface to get it into my laptop. Anyone have experience with the ZDIGAIT1000 unit?

• I went with the Comar CSB200. I have the C90W but it should wire into your C70 exactly the same. It will also feed AIS to your laptop nav software at the same time.

• Hi Smitski,

A generic AIS transceiver or receiver is fine.

Note that if you want Seatalk data on your laptop I recommend that you do this using the ST->NMEA device, or the NMEA output that is available on other Ray equipment such as autopilot computers and the ST60 Multi.

If you were planning on using the NMEA output from the ST70 you'll run into two issues:
    - Your MFD has to be "on" when working with the PC. This means you don't have a backup if the MFD craps out.
    - Your MFD can only send data out at the same speed it can receive, and it needs to be in 38400 baud mode for receiving AIS data.

This means two inputs for the laptop: AIS and NMEA.

If you don't like that your best bet is a NMEA multiplexer, for instance the Shipmodul AIS-2 USB. (http://www.shipmodul.com) Reading their website on NMEA multiplexers will give you some good background info as well, in particular I recommend you read the page on the AIS version.

• Hi All, if anybody is interested, I do have 2 Vespermarine AIS Watchmate units for sale! The original WM650 (just upgraded at the factory in NZ with latest firmware) and the WM670 which is brand-new. Contact me on [email protected] for more details, if interested.
    Ceers,
    Ronald

• A sailing friend just asked for this help with CE in a Raymarine environment:
    Can you give me some guidance as to how to connect the PC with Coastal explorer to the Raymarine network?
    We have the following components.
    7) various ST 60 displays
    1) C90 Wide plotter
    1) S2 autopilot controller and system controller
    1) AIS 500
    1) Sirius Satellite receiver
    1) autopilot remote control
    1) autopilot control display
    1) PC serial cable connected to NMEA out on the AIS and interfaced to PC with a Keystone serial/USB adapter

Any advice you have will be helpful as this installation is starting from scratch.
    Thank you.
    Brian

• Brian,

Brookhouse has a special NMEA 0183 multiplexer able to translate SeaTalk:

http://brookhouseonline.com/seatalk.htm

I think ShipModul can do something like this, too, but couldn't find it on their site:

http://www.shipmodul.com/en/index.html

But for a higher end, room-to-grow solution, you might consider Raymarine's SeaTalk-STng converter plus a small N2K network and gateway. I'm testing one now with a lot of ST40 gear and it seems to put out standard PGNs just fine:

https://www.panbo.com/archives/2010/08/raymarine_seatalk-seatalkng_converter_nice.html