The Panbo Forum

Return to Panbo Forum main page »

bstrong

3G Cellular Coverage

Vote 0 Votes

This topic is here as increasingly coastal cruisers are becoming dependent on data available from cell sources. For myself I use cell signals regularly for tracking the weather radar from NWS and for calling ahead for port information like dockage. Last season I used a Verizon MiFi card to supplement the spotty ATT coverage for my iPhone. This season I see that ATT has a so called Microcell device which supposedly will improve your coverage by providing a "mini cell tower" in your home or on your boat. Does anyone have any experience with this - or any other useful techniques for getting reliable coverage in specific areas? Brian

3 Replies

• Brian, I think you're referring to something called a "femtocell". Use Google to get a lot of information from that jargon word.

It will definitely increase your cellular connectivity because like you said, it produces a mini cell tower in your house.

But...

A femtocell is designed to connect to the internet - generally over a high speed ADSL or cable modem internet connection. The mini cell tower then allows you to have better cellular signals for voice and data but uses the high speed internet connection to get the voice/data into the provider's network. So for a home, it allows you to have better cell signals using your home high speed internet. I'm not sure how it would provide anything on a boat.

The best thing to increase cellular signal strength on a boat is to add an amplifier. That will significantly increase the range at which you can use your mobile devices.

• Maybe wifi the way to go? Thanks Jeffrey. I have the ATT microcell installed in my home now and it solves the dropped call problem there but I see it will not help me onboard.
    Anyone have suggestions on the latest technology for a wireless bridge?
    It appears that better wifi reception is the best approach for me.
    Brian

• I've been using a Syrens bridge, the max power version with local AP for the last two years and it works very well. A couple of things to keep in mind are:

1) Signal loss from the box to the antenna is an issue (with all radios) so use fat cable and keep the run as short as possible. You can find web sites that will tell you the signal loss per distance, cable and frequency.

2) WiFi signals are very high frequency (2.5-5.0GHz) so they travel in a straight line. The shore side antenna is probably not mounted very high (e.g.

3) There are an enormous number of variables in wifi range, most of which are out of your control. Be very skeptical of any claims for distance. Focus on build quality of the unit, max transmit power (1w by FCC reg), antenna gain (must be omni, boats are always moving) and customer support.

Good luck!