The Panbo Forum

Return to Panbo Forum main page »

RED

Radar comparisons

Vote 0 Votes

I want to replace an older radar - a Furuno 1761 open array. I need to limit weight aloft, so I want to replace the open array with a radome. I'd also like to have tha abiliity to repeat the radar at a second location on the boat (main cabin, the radar is now on the bridge), so I would like to find a unit with a PC output compatibility.

Raytheon has some agressively priced packages, but one of you posted an opinion that Raytheon is a "toy" compared with real radars. With a 4 KW radome, and the other bells and whistles like ARPA, what am I missing? (I'm not sold on Raytheon, still looking for the best system for the money)

The boat is a 42 Ocean Alexander with two helm stations, normally run from the flybridge, with PC based charting (nobeltec). I also have a Maretron backbone (NEMA 2000) with GPS, weather, depth, and a 2000/183 converter.

Any ideas, thoughts would be welcome

2 Replies

• I forgot to add that I'm a newbie (so go easy on me); I've tried the search function, but had limited success so far.

• The Navico br24 radar matches your needs nicely. You can use an nse8 mfd dvi out to a 2nd display and expect later to have support for a pc nav program (next season). Brian