The Panbo Forum

Return to Panbo Forum main page »

thermo

Furuno AIS w. Ethernet

Vote 0 Votes

Hi,
I am looking for a shore side ethernet enabled AIS receiver. I have been offered a Furuno FA-30 which meets the specs of having an ethernet port, so that (in theory) the AIS data can be sent to other locations via internet.
Reading some comments on this blog and some searches, there doesn't seem to be a definate answer as to whether the AIS data over ethernet can be accessed by anything other than Furuno's AIS viewer software supplied with the unit.
Does anyone know if making a TCP/IP connection to the device address:port will just spurt out the AIS data, or will I find that it's encrypted/obsfucated?
Does anyone have any suggestions for any other TCP/IP enabled AIS receiver?

13 Replies

• Hi,

The Furuno NavNet system sends nmea data (and ais data) via UDP packets.

post your email and i will send you the information.

Kind Regards,
    Andy Murray

• Hi Andy,
    Thanks for the info.
    email is: rehfjo at gmail. com
    Newbie question: By "Navnet System", do you mean the hardware or their PC software they sell/offer with the unit?
    Thanks.

• I'd like to know more about this too, Andy.

My impression, from trying the FA-50, is that Furuno uses a proprietary Ethernet format, and I recall Furuno confirming the fact that other manufacturer's hardware and software could not read the Fa-50's target data screen.

https://www.panbo.com/archives/2008/12/furuno_fa-50_class_b_ais_first_impressions.html

Thermo, If you poke around some of the Web AIS target plotting services, like siitech.com, you'll find that they can provide software that can pipe AIS data coming into a PC via NMEA 0183 into their servers, and maybe elsewhere.

• Hi Thermo, Ben,

You both have an email.

Any questions let me know.

Andy

• Please send me the information about decoding Furuno ethernet packets as well. Their literature claims to use TCP/IP and the Fax30 supports a web interface. I suspect the Navnet gear and the AIS are harder to decode.

[email protected]

Thanks

andy

• Hello,

I would like this information as well. I am currently trying to interface with a FA-30.

[email protected]

• Andy,

I'd be grateful if you could send me info about the protocol as well. Thanks!

[email protected]

• Andy,

I'd also be greatful if you could send me info about furuno's ethernet protocol!

Could you please forward it to [email protected] aswell?

Your assistance in this matter will be highly appreciated!

• Thermo,

You can hook up most any old style NMEA High Speed AIS receivers to one of these to make the data available over ethernet:

http://www.moxa.com/product/NPort_5150.htm

There are at least 2 programs, probably more that will read the data directly via telnet, Coastal Explorer 2009 and a "shareware/freeware" program called NavMonPC.

I've not tested this yet, but the Moxa product also includes a serial driver that makes a virtual COM port. With this most any program could access the data over ethernet.

• Hey Andy,

It's been a while since the last post, but I would certainly be interested in further info on Furuno's NavNet system and nmea data (and ais data) via UDP packets.

Would it be possible to share it once more?

Thanks,
    Lennart

• Every few months, I receive an email asking about this info, so I hope Andrew doesn't mind me posting what he said to me by email. There is no point emailing me for further information, as it is all below.
    Just for the record, I never went for the Furuno system, as it was way too much trouble, so I just got a cheapie Comar AIS receiver with an ethernet port. As others mentioned, you can also get an even cheaper device with a serial port and use a serial to ethernet converter. Good luck.

-- Info supplied by Andy:
    The NavNet 3D sends most of its data (propertary & non propertary data strings) on port UDP 10021 this is also true for the FA-30 (i would guess the FA50 to since the software reversion is virtually the same)

The trouble is traslating the UDP packet data into a serial port most applications can use.
    I found http://franson.com/gpsgate/ works really well for this select the input to be "UDP Reciever" click settings change port to 10021 and set a virtual serial port as the output and it will work with any application.

If connecting to NavNet 3D select DHCP server as standard and ensure you DISABLE power sync on the port of the hub 101 (i have not damaged my laptop or any pc connecting to a port where power sync is enabled) but due to the way power sync works you get 12v on the unused pins of the ethernet port. (in theory should not be connected in your laptop but you never know 12v where it shoudnt be is never a good idea!)

connecting to a FA-30 / 50
    Make sure if connecting directly you use a cross cable & set the IP address to a "Furunoesk" 172.31.3.150 with a subnet of 255.255.255.0 normally is fine.

• Does someone know the color specs of the power/data cable belongs to the FA30