The Panbo Forum

Return to Panbo Forum main page »

Rosea Webs

What is the best flashlight?

Vote 0 Votes

I am thinking to buy a flashlight. It is fenix pd35 tactical flashlight. Fenix has a lot of reputation no doubt that but this model price is so high. So, what would be your suggestion if i want to buy a quality flashlight less than $50?

2 Replies

| Add a Reply
  • How are you going to use it? In generally very difficult to predict by reading the specs on a flashlight how well the beam produced by the light bulb will perform in the circumstances you need, for example some lights let you see far deeper into fog then others. Some don't have near the stated range when looking for navigation buoys on even a clear night.

But there are a lot of other physical characteristics and brightness to consider. At 960 lumens, that light is really packing a lot of power in a weight far under that of a smartphone. Anti roll, belt buckle compatible, waterproof, adjustable intensity all good. But with non standard batteries and no adjustable focus, I wonder if it's range of usefulness may be limited.

If you go forward with your purchase, be sure to post back your experiences. I would love to here if this cuts through fog well at one of the settings or not, or on a clear night how does it perform finding buoys at one of it's lower brightness levels.

I should take the time to write an update on flashlights for use other than on deck, like close in work while doing maintenance on your boat. I have and still do recommend this $18 flashlight for boats above deck and around the house, just purchased two more recently myself.
    http://www.panbo.com/archives/2011/11/dorcy_180_lumen_led_cyber_light_flashlight.html

Add a Reply