The Panbo Forum

Return to Panbo Forum main page »

Matt

iPad Charging at the helm...

Vote 0 Votes

Hello. I am installing an iPad on the binnacle of my J/133 sailboat. I'm wondering if anyone has a recommendation on the best way to get power to it? I envision waterproofing issues if I run a 12V cable to the binnacle with a USB port (such as the Blue Sea USB charger) on the end to plug the lightening cable into. Having the USB port exposed in the cockpit doesn't seem good. Perhaps the USB port should be mounted in the engine room and the lighting cable could be plugged into it from there?

Any suggestions would be welcome!

1 Reply

• I have a iPad mounted in a waterproof housing on a ram mount on my pedestal. Up until last year, I had no way of charging it unless I took it below and plugged it in. This year I replaced my instruments and in the process decided to try a Scanstrut Waterproof USB Dual Charge Socket (12-24V). They claim to be IPX4 waterproof even with cables plugged in. I haven't tested this yet, but have installed it. It looks like it will be good in most conditions, but I won't be able to give you any first-hand recommendations for another month or two.