The Panbo Forum

Return to Panbo Forum main page »

HenryD

NMEA2000 Network Congestion or conflict?

Vote 0 Votes

Hello,
I have a NMEA 2000 network with many Maretron sensors and Maretron N2KView. The network is also connected to my Simrad NSO evo2 chartplotter. There are several Simrad pieces connected to the network.
I am having intermittent data problems. Today the depth was showing on the N2Kview display - sometimes. The depth was not displaying on the Simrad system (it has displayed sometimes). At times, the Airmar PB200 data (Wind speed and direction) do not display. If I power off the NMEA2000 network, and power it back on, most times I get some of the data to display.
Some of the engine data such as engine oil pressure displays at time and other times it does not.

I am thinking I either how congestion OR a data conflict of some sort. Unfortunately, the network seems to work fine at the dock when some data is not being create such as engine RPM.

Where should I start to trouble shoot this?

Regards

2 Replies

• Hi Mark,

I'd call Mark Oslund, the tech support superstar at Maretron.

I'd also try disconnecting the PB200 as it produces a lot of data and has been involved in some other N2K network issues I've heard of.

Also, have you looked at the N2K diagnostics available on the NSO evo2?

• I saw a similar problem in my friends SIMRAD system that could not be reproduced at the dock, it was a much more plain vanilla system than you described with only a MFD, autopilot, 4 instrument displays, and basic sensors.

After the battery was run down a small bit, and in combination with using the autopilot or powered winch, the displays would sometimes be missing information, and pushing autopilot buttons would sometimes be unresponsive.

As much as that sounds like a power or ground issue, a SIMRAD technician helpfully identified it as a faulty instrument display.