The Panbo Forum

Return to Panbo Forum main page »

Ron Quire

Updating NMEA firmware without SD Slot?

Vote 0 Votes

Longtime reader, first time writer.

It was here that I first read the review of the Garmin GMI20 that we ended up purchasing one and been very happy with it.

I decided to purchase a Lowrance Point 1 GPS antenna for location/heading information.
I installed it, but the GPS fix is not correct...positions us somewhere in Asia, it also stays locked onto
only 1 satellite....even though we are down in Panama.

Turns out...Lowrance has an update which,
"The 1.4 software patch for the Point-1 antenna improves the GPS functionality for units that are used between the latitudes of 10 degrees S and 10 degrees N. This update is in response to reports that some users were experiencing GPS lock-on issues while operating in this given latitude range."

Just my luck...Im at 8 degrees.

All I have interfaced to my N2K network is this, a Mareton Wind sensor and of course the GMI20.

How is it possible for me to change the firmware??

Am I stuck with a $200 receiver that doesn't work due to my location and because I'm not able to update it?
If so...What a combination of bad luck!

There is no SDCard slot on the GMI20.

I`m computer handy, and wondered if there were a way to do this over PC?
Have you ever heard of any software which allows you to browse and swap out the firmware manually?

Any suggestions at all I would try.

Cheers,
Ron

1 Reply

• You can apply SWUP updates using Navico MFD or a PC + ST10 update tool, but that is a $125 device.

Can't you find someone nearby that has a Navico MFD?