The Panbo Forum

Return to Panbo Forum main page »

Helimech

Lost complete NEMA 2000

Vote 0 Votes

Turned on the boat today and it appears like the complete NEMA 2000 system is down. I have a Garmen 740 chartplotter, two Garmen GMI 10 displays, a Garmen Interducer, a Garmen GWS10 Windspeed, a Raymarine P70 Autopilot Head and a Raymarine SPX-30 Corepack. All the displays turn on but I have no Wind or Depth info on the GMI 10's or the 740 and the Autopilot Head says No Pilot. I have checked to make sure the 12 VDC (pin 2)and Ground (pin 3) is at each units Nema plug. I then tried to isolate each unit one at a time from the network but still no luck. Several boats around me were reciently struck by lightning so I'm thinking this might be my problem. Any other ideas to troubleshoot this system before calling the pro's with their network reading equiptment? Thanks for any help. Cheers, JC

8 Replies

• I have never had a problem myself, but your troubleshooting technique should go in the opposite direction.

Rather than isolate each unit one by one. Get all the units off the network, then add them one by one starting with one sensor and one GMI10. If you can't get any sensor or GMI10 to work as a pair, I would be surprised, but then suspect you have a wiring issue. More likely if you had a working network, as you add components watch for the network to get in trouble to learn something useful.

• It sounds like your backbone has no power. I would check the fuses at the power tap. This would explain the displays powering up but not getting data as the displays are not powered by the backbone.

If you have a Mini powertap the fuses are probably integrated in the unit. If you have a mid or micor backbone the circuit protection may be inline.

• Well after getting no good results by trying to isolate one at a time I did build a simple 3 tee backbone (sensor, power, display and terminators at both ends) and no luck. Inserted different displays (GMI10"s and GPS740)and different tee's into the test backbone and no data transfer. The GPS740 shows no other component attached to the backbone. Its like both my GMI10's and GPS740 have lost the ability to read the backbone. I'm taking them to a shop to have them bench checked. Then I'll know if its a backbone wiring problem.

• I agree but I have checked to make sure the 12 VDC (pin 2)and Ground (pin 3) is at each units (GMI10's, GPS740, Intelliducer and the GWS10) N2K plugs and its there.

• Watching this thread for an update. Any news yet ?

• Units still out but I think the GPSMAP 740 is coming back today. Standby.

• Refurbed GPSMAP 740 was hook up and still shows no other devices on the backbone but that might be right if I have no other working devices. Going to borrow a friends GMI 10 and see if the GPSMAP 740 see's it on the backbone. If it does then I have to assume my transducer (inteliducer) and the wind sensor (GWS10) are crap.

• Where are you on this right now? I am suspicious that something was missed in the earlier debug process with a single sensor and the 740 isolated onto a small network backbone.