The Panbo Forum

Return to Panbo Forum main page »

Taniwha

Simrad NSS with 3G or 4G radar

Vote 0 Votes

Hi,

I'd like the opinion of anyone with actual knowledge of the Simrad setup with NSS & broadband radar.

My understanding is that the NSS screens cannot access the Dual Range, High Speed, or Beam Sharpening features that the 4G has (and 3G doesn't have). Those features are exclusive to the NSE & NSO series.

So, I have a few questions on that:

1) Have I missed any features that the NSS screens cannot access in a 4G?

2) Does that then mean that it's not worth pairing a 4G with an NSS, and may as well just get a 3G?

3) Or is the 4G a better dome in all aspects and will produce a significantly better result than the 3G with the NSS?

4) Does anyone know if Simrad is planning on giving the NSS the capability of those features in the future? and, if they are:

5) Would that then be applicable to earlier NSS units via a firmware upgrade?

Thanks for any comments based on knowledge rather than conjecture :)

Cheers,
Paul.

8 Replies

• Paul, I have a 4G and a NSS7 BUT it's only being installed at the moment and the boat is in the shed. Im an running the radar cable to the display and will probably connect it for the first time this weekend.
    I have been asking myself that same question, although it would not make a big difference for me as I plan to primarily use the radar through Expedition (not installed yet, we will see how that turns out).
    In Ben's original entry about the 4G it did say that NSS could not set the level of beam sharpening BUT that beam sharpening is fully set by default.
    So based on that I would say that 3) above applies.
    Re 4) and 5): I have the RTM 2.5 software ready to install this weekend and we'll see if, after connecting the radar, I see any "beam sharpening" features anywhere in the menus.
    Also: I have a printed version of the "Broadband Radar Essential Guide" that I could not find online (all Simrad sites show the original version about the BR24). This new version compares the 3G and 4G. On "Plotter compatibility" it just mentions "yes compatible with NSS7, 8 and 12". The is no asterisk or footnote saying anything like "some features not available with NSS".
    But that's conjecture which you said you are not interested in. I will connect, find out and report here. If not this weekend then the one after.

• Hi Henning,

Thanks for the reply. I'll be really interested in your findings, so please do post them.

In particular I think that the dual range feature is one that would be very useful to have available.

The Simrad-Yachting.com website has the following under the 4G specifications page:

Radar Features: MARPA, Guard Zones, InstantON, Dual Range*, High Speed*, Beam Sharpening*
    *NSE and NSO only.

That's where I took my info from.

I did note that the downloadable user manual does seem to be for the BR24, as you say. Any way I could get a copy of essential guide from you?

THe fact that you have updated software gives some confidence that Simrad "could" make these features available for the NSS if needed (and also gives confidence that the NSS platform should be upgradable for many years, and thus become "old" technology). But whether Simrad will do that is another question.

I don't mind conjecture from people such as yourself, who are basing your conjecture on actual experience with the units. My comment was half "tongue-in-cheek" and aimed at those who would postulate stuff on absolutely no real knowledge base. So "conject" away :).

I look forward to an update on your observations.

Cheers,
    Paul.

• Sorry: meant "and thus NOT become "old" technology" regarding the firmware updates.

Paul

• I think that the NSS got 4G beam sharpening control with the 2.0 update last summer:

"Enhanced Broadband 4G™ Radar
    When coupled with a Broadband 4G™ Radar, NSS users will now benefit from the highest levels of definition available from a dome radar with beam sharpening via target separation control, which allows users to view a much clearer and more detailed image of their surroundings. A new noise rejection function also improves range performance and increases target detection sensitivity."

I'm pretty sure I saw that on my trip south and may have time to try it in the next couple of days (I'm on Gizmo). I'd also like to load the 2.5 update, which may not improve radar performance, but does allow simultaneous Insight and Navionics chart display here in the States.

• I think that the NSS got 4G beam sharpening control with the 2.0 update last summer:

"Enhanced Broadband 4G™ Radar
    When coupled with a Broadband 4G™ Radar, NSS users will now benefit from the highest levels of definition available from a dome radar with beam sharpening via target separation control, which allows users to view a much clearer and more detailed image of their surroundings. A new noise rejection function also improves range performance and increases target detection sensitivity."

I'm pretty sure I saw that on my trip south and may have time to try it in the next couple of days (I'm on Gizmo). I'd also like to load the 2.5 update, which may not improve radar performance, but does allow simultaneous Insight and Navionics chart display here in the States.

• Correct, NSS got full beam sharpening control with RTM2.0

And as written above NSS may get dual range and 48rpm high speed mode in a future software upgrade. I would have gone 4G to "future proof" my investment.

• I did test this weekend with the boat in shed, sort of the ultimate test in short range performance with 25 other boats packed as tight as possible around mine ;-)

As Abbor has already confirmed Ben's suspicions, I can now only confirm Abbor's confirmation.
    Target separation can be set with 2.0 software between off, low, med, high. 2.5 software does not change this.
    The difference was clearly visible during my tests in the shed.

I upgraded the software in the radar scanner before the test which went smooth.

I also found the Broadband Essential Guide in the version for 3G and 4G at this place:
    http://www.simrad-yachting.com/Root/Essential%20Guides/Navico_Broadband_Radar_Essential_Guide_28-09-11.pdf
    Previously I had entered through the MFD link and that leads to the old version. Entering through the radar link brings up the new version.
    I also found this document describing compatibility between radar- and MFD versions:
    http://www.simrad-yachting.com/Root/Addendum/Radar-4G_RTM1_AD_EN_988-10224-001_w.pdf
    I states that NSS cannot control beam sharpening, which we now know to be untrue. The other compatibility statements in it appear correct.

So given that Navico will support C-Map charts in addition to Navionics (see https://www.panbo.com/archives/2013/02/navico_new_gpsheading_sensor_vhfgps_handheld.html ) and even nv.digital (see https://www.panbo.com/archives/2013/01/nv-charts_on_navico_displays_another_paper_option.html ) that makes it the most attractive choice for MFDs and when deciding between 3G and 4G I would chose 4G because of better range and beam sharpening even if the combination with an NSS does not support dual range and 48rpm speed.

• bb radar?