The Panbo Forum

Return to Panbo Forum main page »

Taniwha

Price of Navionics Online additional charts

Vote 0 Votes

Hi all,

We're putting a chart plotter on board (finally) and I've been looking at the various bundles of charts with plotters. Looks like most of the plotters are sold with basic Navionics charts (silver), and then we'll need to buy additional areas & details (e.g. upgrade to Gold) on-line.

I have a quote from a dealer for a plotter bundled with a basic US silver chart group, and then also a separate chip with the Gold Asia charts that we want.

I note that on the Navionics website, you can buy additional charts and download them to your existing Navionics chip. But I can't access the cost of those downloads because I don't yet have a chip (I downloaded their software but can't access any pricing without a recognised Navionics chip).

So, my options are:

1) to buy the plotter + US silver charts + Asia Gold charts on a separate chip, from the dealer, or

2) to buy just the plotter + US silver charts from the dealer and then buy the Asia Gold charts online directly from Navionics as an additional chart download onto the US silver charts chip.

My question (for anyone able to make sense of what I've written) is:

How much are the charts online from Navionics as additional downloads?

The dealer is quoting me US$271 for the 31XG chart set(Indian Ocean & SE Asia) on a chip.

Can someone with a Navionics online account please have a look for me to see how much Navionics charges for downloading the 31XG chart set onto your existing chip set?

Thanks for the help.

Cheers,
Paul

2 Replies

• Paul, I wasn't aware that you could buy Navionics card charts online. Can you please give me a link?

I do know that if you buy a Platinum+ card, you get a year's worth of online data updates plus a voucher good for one region of Silver level charts that work with Navionics PC chart viewer.

https://www.panbo.com/archives/2012/05/navionics_charts_really_fresh_data_lots_of_it.html

• Hi Ben,

thanks for replying - I was starting to wonder if anyone was going to :).

I'm not certain of anything, since we don't yet own a chart plotter (sorry: MFD). However, we chartered a yacht last week in NZ (Hauraki Gulf - brilliant sailing area!!! And got within about 50m of the Prada AC72 in about 15kts of wind - it actually did a circle around us - great photos - cool !! Talk about fast.).

Anyway, the boat had a rudimentary chart plooter on board, and that convinced us to finally splurge. So I've been doing the on-line research and went to the Navionics site as part of that. It says that you can download additional updates and chart areas from its online store. I downloaded their app to try to get prices, but it won't give me any unless I already have a Navionics chip.

Here's the link:http://www.navionics.com/en/downloads-updates

If you click on "Launch Navionics Webstore" you can download software to run the store, but it requires you to have a Navionics chip already (I assume the silver charts-on-a-chip which come with a Simrad NSS purchase qualify).

Elsewhere on their site, they clearly say that you can download additional chart areas to your existing chip.

So, I assume that you have a Navionics chip with existing charts on it!? If it's possible for you to access the webstore, it'd be great to know if downloading a chart area directly to an existing chip is cheaper than buying a new chip with that area on (Logic would say that it is, since there is no new physical chip, however they may have kept the prices the same to honour their existing distribution channels).

Of course, I may be totally wrong about this since I don't already have a chip, so can't access any of it.

Here's a link to the FAQ pdf about buying on-line. On page three it says:

"The current version of the WebStore allows to
    download a Gold Small chart onto a cartridge that has been purchased by the distributor or Dealer from
    Navionics at the standard Gold Small RRP minus the
    reseller discount."

I'm not exactly sure what that means, but I assume that it means it's cheaper to buy on-line if you already have a Navionics chip.

I'd be greatfull if you could check it out.

The chart area we're interested in is chart area 31XG : Indian Ocean & South China Sea.

Cheers,
    Paul.