The Panbo Forum

Return to Panbo Forum main page »

Pat

Installing AIS650

Vote 0 Votes

I am currently installing a Raymarine AIS650. It comes with a passive GPS antenna, 10m of cable and a plug on the end for connecting to the AIS. The plug is too big to thread through my rail mount. Does anyone know if I can cut the plug off and then re attach later, or is the wiring to the plug complicated?
Thanks

5 Replies

• I don't know the answer. I can tell you how I avoided the challange all together, maybe consider this solution instead:

The BlueSea Cable Clam
    http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1%7C328%7C49758%7C112306%7C316467&id=28629

Allows you to create holes in your boat where the entire head of the cable can pass, and then be sealed off. Its generally a better approach, as you later have the flexibility to move the connected device without cutting the cable.

It dosn't say so in the packaging, but you can put two cables thru it.

• Thanks Dan. That looks like a good alternative if I can't remove the plug.

• Pat, you might give Raymarine a call and ask them if it will be a problem to cut the cable and re-splice it. Chuck

• It's a coaxial cable, so if you have the tools and know-how to crimp a new connector on there I would say go for it. Just do the job well - I've seen quite a few failures due to shoddy connector crimping.

• Thanks for all the advice. In the end I got brave and cut the connector off. I successfully threaded the cable through the rail and finally installed a new co-axial connector. A bit awkward but it all seems to be working fine. Thanks again