Panbo

The Panbo Forum

Return to Panbo Forum main page »

Ken

Mixing NMEA2000 & Seatalk

Vote 0 Votes

I have Raymarine ST60 transducers and instruments, a Raymarine ITC-5 (instrument transducer converter), a Raymarine s1 course computer, a Raymarine e7 multifunction display and NMEA 2000 tank sensors.

I have built a NMEA 2000 backbone and can attach the tank sensors directly to "T" drop connectors. I can attach the e7 to a "T" using a Devicenet adapter cable. I can attach the transducers to the ITC-5 unit directly.

Question1: The ITC-5 has two Seatalk NG backbone connectors and a Seatalk NG drop connector. Can it be connected to the backbone via a drop cable or does it have to be inline on the backbone? If the latter how does one connect a Seatalk NG backbone to a NMEA 2000 backbone?

Question2:
Do I connect the s1 computer to the backbone (if so how) or do I have to connect it directly to the e7 unit? In either case does the s1 computer supply power to the network?

I thank you in advance for any help you can provide
Ken

2 Replies

| Add a Reply
  • Ken, you can use the ST-to-STng converter either way, as I mentioned in comments to this entry:

http://www.panbo.com/archives/2010/11/raymarine_st-stng_converter_hands_on_1_gps.html

But I think that the preferred way is to just use a STng to Devicenet adaptor cable as a drop cable. This meets the NMEA 2000 standard well because actually it's only the ITC-5 that is an N2K device. In other words, the SeaTalk transducers attached to the ITC-5 are not actually part of the N2K network, just their translated data.

Also, if you run your backbone through the ITC-5 you will have to splice STng backbone cables with standard Devicenet cables. It works but it's messier.

I don't have experience with the S1 course computer, and also don't see a manual online, but if it really talks STng I'd think you could just drop it to the backbone. Hopefully someone else knows for sure...

• S1 course computers have two (2) seatalk ports and two (2) nmea0183 ports. No NMEA2000 (N2K) on the S1 or S1G course computer.

If you have no radar, just connect a seatalk port to the e7, and note the option listed below about using the second seatalk port.

If yes radar, check if you have either an S1G version of S1 or have attached a rate gyro. If yes, there is a special feature on one of the nmea0183 ports (I think port #2) that provides "fast heading" output that is useful for the MARPA feature of the MFD so it can follow targets better when your boat changes course. Be sure to connect that nmea0183 port to the e7 nmea0183 input, makes a big difference

Extra Seatalk Port (Optional)there is a reason there are two (2) seatalk ports. You can put the autopilot head on a dedicated seatalk port. This option is in place so you can use your autopilot sans all the other electronics in your boat. Provides a kind of redundancy. Downside is that turning off your S1 autopilot will turn off the a/p head with it, which can be a convenient extra display to show heading, depth, speed, etc.

Raymarine Link:
    http://www.raymarine.com/ProductDetail.aspx?SITE=1&SECTION=2&PAGE=1846&PRODUCT=4015

Add a Reply