The Panbo Forum

Return to Panbo Forum main page »

Andre

Solar Panel Calculation

Vote 0 Votes

I have worked many hours at building an Excel spreadsheet that helps me calculate my daily loads against some battery configurations and how certain solar panel configurations impact the whole system.

I am trying to keep all my numbers in watts and watts/hour since it is , in my humble opinion, the ONLY clean measuring stick for power consumption (my local utility also uses that same measuring stick - coincidence!).

Then I came across an "alternative energy" provider that offers a "solar module worksheet" to help determine how many panels are required for a given application. In their worksheet, one of the steps is to divide total amp/hours (!) by the peak amps of the desired panel. The panels I would like to purchase are rated as follows:

Watts Peak: 128.40
Volts Peak: 16.86
Current at Max. power: 7.61
(The math works: 128.40W / 16.68V = 7.61A

If the MPPT was converting this properly (without factoring any losses) then the system would then see 10.7A. That is 128.40W / 12V = 10.7A. In comparison that almost a 30% loss!!!

What am I missing here? Is it the MPPT controller eating the difference? Is the "worksheet" out to lunch?

Thanks,

Humbly Andre

P.S. I found the worksheet at the www.foster-wills.com site or more specifically:

www.foster-wills.com/Foster_Wills_Solar_Calculation_Worksheets.pdf

3 Replies

• Andre,

Quite simple. The worksheet doesn't factor in MPPT, but normal chargers. A normal solar charger does normal DC regulation and can only shave off the extra voltage (16.86 V-> 13.2 V or whatever the charge voltage is).

This is exactly why a MPPT is so much better than a normal solar regulator. As you say, up to 30% more efficient.

I do think that these calculations are somewhat of a misleading trap anyway. They calculate what you would get for an "average day" of so many hours of sun, assuming no further losses. This is OK if you are in a place where the amount of sunshine is predictable. Most places on this earth, not so much. So you can almost always use more panels.

BTW -- please don't say amp/hour where you mean amp hour. You're dividing current by time, instead of multiplying them. The worksheet does this correctly. See http://yachtelectronics.blogspot.com/2010/05/basics-of-electrical-units-and.html for a rant of mine on this subject.

• Thank you so much "Kees" for you comments and yes you are right about amp/hours vs amp hours. Thank you for setting me straight.

Conclusion: make sure you purchase a first class MPPT.

Thanks again.

Andre

• If you wish to take full advantage of the usage of your solar panel systems at home or in your company, opt for methods which do not entirely depend upon once the sun shines. Many of the more recent solar cell models can shop enough electricity which you can use at any time. This is very handy as soon as the nighttime will come.

Safe-keeping can be just as crucial as the energy which a solar technology program produces. You really should get a battery that merchants the vitality or market it for the electric powered Gem Energy organization.

You require a file backup answer if your solar power panels are certainly not performing like they need to. You really should consider remaining area of the neighborhood grid in your neighborhood in case, though generators will help. Make sure that is correctly doing work by undertaking maintenance at least once per month in the event you decide on a power generator.