The Panbo Forum

Return to Panbo Forum main page »

economeier

Lowrance HDS + Navionics HotMaps Platinum

Vote 0 Votes

I am interested in purchasing Lowrance HDS10 with Navionics Platinum software for use in SouthEast Louisiana. In addition I plan to add a LSS-1 sounder package.

The unit will be used in SE Louisiana "inside waters" for fishing purposes. Of particular interest are the satellite overlays that should be particularly useful to me in areas of the Mississippi Delta where coastal erosion has made CG nav charts less than useful.

I have two concerns:

1. I have been told that the Platinum satellite overlays cause the Lowarnce system to slow to the point of being problematic for realtime navigation purposes. One dealer told me the system computer processors do not have sufficient speed to handle the Platinum optional products.

2. Has anyone been able to use the Platinum satellite overlays in the Mississippi Delta and have they been useful for navigating through areas where coastal erosion has been particularly problematic?

3. If the Lowrance precessing speeds are an issue, does anyone have experience using the Hummingbird 1198c si Combo with similar mapping software?

Thanks guys and gals.

1 Reply

• I've used both an HDS 10 and a Humminbird 1197c with Platinum charts, but it's been awhile. I do not recall seeing a major slow down with photo overlays, and I think I would have remembered if it was extreme. I have the HDS set up in the lab and will try to check out the photo maps in next few days.