So, there is some interest in starting an open source project. I am starting this topic to gauge interest and throw ideas around. It could also turn into kind of a home brew cookbook for marine applications and networks.
The first issue being discussed is getting NMEA 2000 data onto an IP network so that we can easily use the data in a variety of applications.
First off, what we know...
1) Multiple marine electronics manufacturers are getting close to what we have discussed, but none quite have it that I know of.
2) Some readers have already reported success using off-the-shelf hardware to accomplish this task.
3) Not all applications support data over IP, and there are differences in protocols used.
So, now for the questions...
1) What exactly are we looking for to solve this problem? What would the ideal product look like?
2) What existing hardware/software can be leveraged and at what price points? Should we just experiment with these solutions and compile the results so that others can benefit from it?
3) Is this the most pressing issue for us to look at, or would our time be better utilized developing something else? What other ideas are out there?
Through collaboration, we can hopefully come up with better ideas and make things happen faster than any of us could on our own. If you have an idea, post it. If I have missed something, post it.