The Panbo Forum

Return to Panbo Forum main page »

Patrick - sv Deep Playa

Selecting connector to connect NMEA 0183 to NMEA2K net

Vote 0 Votes

I'm bulding out my all new Maretron NMEA 2000 network and I want to incorporate the existing depth sounder because I'm waiting for Airmar to come out with their solid state depth/speed/temp instrument.

The existing Standard Horizon DS50 depth sounder says in the manual it outputs NMEA 0183 and refers to the connector as a 5-pin Fuji.

I have seen the Maretron AT10 (http://www.maretron.com/products/at10.php) but it has bare wires for the NMEA 0183 connection. It would seem as though I could cut off the fuji connector and mate the wires, but the manual has no information on color coding of the wiring and I'm not sure if NMEA 0183 had any standard wiring scheme.

Is that the correct approach to take or is there another adapter\translator I could use that has the Fuji connector?

Thanks!
-patrick

7 Replies

• R U sure it's a DS50? I cannot find the manual for that particular model on the Standard Horizon manual site.

• Oh it's an old one... ;-) I have the manual, but it has not wiring specifics only that it mentions to use the female 5-Pin FUJI connector to connect to another NMEA 0183 device. So I figure that's the connection to my NMEA 0183 to NMEA 2000 converter.

I contacted Standard Horizon too and they recommended using the Maretron AT 10. The AT10 has 4 wires see page 2 here:
    http://www.maretron.com/products/pdf/20221982C.pdf

The DS50 has 5 wires. The support tech from Standard Horizon said:

"You will probably need to cut the 5 pin Fuji off. The black wire inside is NMEA tx+ and the bare wire is NMEA tx-. In this case you will connect:
    DS50 black (tx+) to AT10 white (rx+)
    DS50 bare (tx-) to AT10 brown (rx-)"

I didn't think they'd even get back to me or be very helpful so I also posted here. Turns out they were VERY helpful!!

Gotta love that!

• A couple of things, Patrick. The AT10 is actually a Simrad product and you will need an adapter cable to go from SimNet to regular NMEA 2000. If I were in your shoes I'd consider getting an Actisense NGW-1 0183-to-2000 translator instead. It's more expensive than the AT10 and adaptor cable, I think, but it's also more capable. Either will handle the simple depth translation fine, I'm pretty sure, but the NGW might come in handy for other things once you get an N2K depth sensor. For instance, I think it has the horsepower to do AIS translations, though I don't think it does them yet. But it is field flashable, and will be kept up.

• I have an AT10 that I am going to use to connect my NMEA network to my ICOM M504 VHF. Maybe I'll get the Actisense NGW-1 instead of another AT10 just to see how they pan out.

Toys are so much fun. ;-)

Thanks for the suggestion Ben!

• I've submitted this to Actisense as well. I'm curious if I can connect 2 NMEA 0183 devices to the NGW-1 or if I'd need another piece of gear to connect multiple devices. In this instance I'm planning on connecting my ICOM M504 and Pactor IIusb.

-p

• Patrick, to connect more than one talker to the NGW-1 you'll need a multiplexer like Actisense's NDC-4.

• I have the manual, it's pretty old.