The Panbo Forum

Return to Panbo Forum main page »

bstrong

Going N2k

Vote 0 Votes

Going N2k - please comment and advise

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Following many hours of research.............
Here is what I have planned for spring refit [for pdq mv34]:
Simrad nse12 mfd on flybridge with dvi to dell monitor at lower helm
Simrad br24 radar on 18 foot mast
Airmar pb200 wind/gps/heading as primary gps and heading data [above radar] @ 20 feet high
Simrad d/s/t 800 transducer simnet to nse8
Simrad nse8 mfd at lower helm
Standard Horizon gx2100 vhf/ais lower helm with ais output to nse8
Standard Horizon ram mic on flybridge
Actisense n2k to usb to laptop [lenovo t400 'high nit' with onboard gps] with rosepoint coastal explorer and airmar weathercaster and vga to dell 24 inch monitor [alternate/backup to nse output] all at lower helm

Any comments or advice - I am sure I cannot get this right the first time!

Thanks, Brian

11 Replies

• Looks good to me.

Three things:
    - AIS will only work on the NSE12 if you have the NSE8 switched on this way. If this is an issue consider running the NMEA output directly to the NSE12 as well. An AT10 won't work as it doesn't work at NMEA0183HS (38400 baud).
    - How important is DSC integration to you? Not sure this will work with the SH GX2100, don't know that product well enough. It may require a 2nd NMEA input on the NSE.
    - No AIS class B transponder?

• What wire are you going to use? What are the lengths of each leg, etc.

Do all of those MFGs have the NMEA standard connectors or proprietary ones?

Did you check Actisense n2k to usb works with CE? I assume so, but it's not a given and I don't know.

• Kees makes good points, Brian. The NSE series only has one NMEA 0183 I/O port and the baud setting is common, so it's going to have the same issues with the GX1200 that Raymarine C Series will. A GX2100 needs 0183 GPS input at 4800 baud, outputs DSC info at 4800 and AIS info at 38,400 baud. See comments section here:

https://www.panbo.com/archives/2009/11/standard_horizon_gx2100_aisrxvhf_combo_for_most_any_boat.html

Furthermore, the NSE does not bridge 0183 AIS data to or from SimNet/N2K, like it does other messages. So it would take a mess of multiplexers and cables to get the GX2100 to network completely with the three devices you hope to have AIS and DSC input. It's a great radio/AIS receiver combination, but yours is a case where NMEA 2000 VHF and AIS will make everything a lot simpler. One possibility is to use the GX in a limited way -- GPS from the less important of the two NSEs, AIS to the most important -- while you wait for the less expensive N2K radios and AIS receivers and transponders no doubt coming.

You will also need to decide between a SimNet backbone with adapter cables to the PB200, Actisense, etc. or a standard NMEA 2000 backbone with adapter cables to the SimNet gear. I'd do the latter, myself, and would get the standard Airmar DST.

The Actisense NMEA 2000 Gateway does work with the latest Beta version of CE, though I don't think AIS is supported yet, and maybe not even wind...but I'll bet all that is straightened out soon.

Now some better news ;-) I hear that Simrad will be showing a feature packed software update for the NSE next week.

• Brian,

What are you planning to have in terms of autopilot & displays?

• Kees. I have an a raymarine 6000 autopilot which
    performs well and I have no interest in linking
    to my routes. My new displays are simrad nse12 up and
    nse8 down. The existing Dell 24" monitor is
    for output from My laptop coastal explorer (and dvi from
    the nse12). Brian

• I will use an n2k backbone and have downloaded the maretron n2k builder to get started. My AIS need is limited as I do not wish to be in any commercial traffic under any circumstances and drive defensively - even in my Corvette. I come from a background where 2182 was frowned on because you should never depend on anyone else to get you out of trouble. I have been through dodging radar targets entering Gibraltor in a 38 Ft sloop at 2am - no fun in poor weather.
    The gx2100 is just an economical new VHF that will provide ais to the nse12 topside and a tiny ais below on it's own display. It does provide for direct DSC calls to ais targets - my primary interest. Hope this makes sense. Brian

• AIS safety - I should be more direct. Transponding a class b signal does not mean the big guy will not run you down it just means it is more likely he sees you. When I see a constant bearing I assume the worst and alter course accordingly. B

• I remember 2182 too, Brian ;-) Now that I really understand your expectations of the GX2100, I think it will work well for you.

Plus I understand that the new RAM mic will also give you a little AIS display. Plus I forgot that Simrad may very well be bridging 0183 AIS data onto Ethernet, so you may get it on the NSE8 below. I'll ask in Miami.

• Guys, please note that it's the GX2100, not GX1200. Google for GX1200 and Brian's posts pop up #1 and #2.

• Thanks, Kees! I'm obviously very suggestible regarding model numbers, which just don't linger in my little brain. I think I fixed all the mistakes, cause we want Google working for us ;-)

• I had a couple hours with my nse12 in simulator mode today and am happy that as I learn more I am pleased. Initially the panning seemed slow but it was really just the cursor control which has very good fine tuning tools and enabled me to peg it where I want. The DVI out to my Dell monitor works as expected and is a good alternative to a second nse - as long as you don't need mfd control. For me I may decided to skip an nse8 at the lower helm as I have always used my laptop for nav there anyway. The only hassle is the image on the monitor cannot be split [PIP] between dvi and vga. I suspect there are models that will do that so you can have coastal explorer side by side with NSE radar. Of course that will all be unnecesary when Rosepoint and Navico/Simrad get together..... Brian
    PS The standard charting is not accurate for the BVI's but I am not sure it was expected to be.