The Panbo Forum

Return to Panbo Forum main page »

RCJIM

Refitting my 1986 Hunter 34 with instruments

Vote 0 Votes

I'm getting ready to replace the 1980ish speed and depth at my next haul-out in December 2009. I looked at West Marine who compared the Raymaine Tri-data to the Garmin GM1 data display. The kit includes speed, depth Wtr temp and wind as a package for $1200.00. Raymarine Tri-data is $649.00 and the wind is the same at
$649.00.

Now which is the better choice, we discussed the Raymarine seatalk vs. NMEA 2000, NEMA sounds better and the wiring is less. Also looking to include a chart plotter in the future as well as auto pilot.

Also, what other manufacturers are out there that can compete?

Thanks, RCJIM

1 Reply

• Most here would agree that N2K sensors would be the best for a total refit, from the aspect of ease of wiring, integration, and data compatibility.
    My personal bias is for Garmin equipment for a host of reasons, but the beauty of N2K is that you are not locked into a proprietary network any more. Garmin doesn't make a sailboat autopilot YET, so for the moment I would suggest a mix and match setup. Raymarine's autopilots are quite good, and take direction well from other stuff.

Since you will pull the mast for this overhaul, I think you should consider at least wiring for a radar, and pull an N2K backbone from your thru-hulls to the rudder sensor, with lighter runs tee'd to the masthead, tanks and engine, helm and nav station. In the near future you will want to be able to input fuel flow, engine data, antennas located at the stern and cabin top, and more. Then buy the chartplotter, XM weather box, radar, AIS and integrated VHF that fits your budget. Go Garmin!