Simrad NSS evo2, multi-touch 7-inch to 16-inch and beyond

... written for Panbo by Ben Ellison and posted on Nov 19, 2013

Simrad_NSS9_evo2_new_11-13.jpgAt METS this morning,  Simrad announced an evo2 update to the NSS Series and quite an update it is. The new multi-touch wide screen models will come in 7-, 9-, 12- and 16-inch sizes, and since they are close family in every way to the recently discussed NSO evo2, a boater will be able to mix and match bright, glass-bridge-style displays from 7 to 24-inches. And while NSS evo2 can network with Simrad's radars, sonars, SonicHub audio, WiFi 1 etc., all four sizes come with "embedded CHIRP enabled Broadband sounder and StructureScan" (which can probably network out to the whole family)...

Simrad_NSS_evo2_Home_screen.jpgAll six new NSS evo2 models are now online and you'll see that the two extras are 7- and 9-inch "m" versions without the built-in sonar. Other new features across the line are embedded 10Hz GPS/GLONASS receivers, a "best in class" faster processor and HDMI video output. And, yes, the NSS will now do 4G dual range radar like the NSE can. In fact, it seems like the larger NSS models replace NSE, though I gather that the NSE line won't be discontinued largely because it's popular on the commercial scene.
   NSS (and NSO) evo2 also include a redesigned interface that looks intriguing, I think.  Note, for instance, how nicely autopilot and SonicHub are presented on (and probably accessible from) the data sidebar in the top photo. Plus, there's the Home screen above that seems to offer quick, easy access to data/settings, main functions, and favorite combo screens. I don't yet know what multi-touch gestures are supported, but hopefully, Kees Verruijt will get fingers on an evo2 when he visits the show on Thursday.

Simrad_NSS_evo2_go-to_interface.jpgI also like the look of this evo2 go-to screen (even if that's clearly demo data), but hat's off to Garmin for coming up with the big corner number design (I think) and to Humminbird for the clever 3D horizon compass. I mean no criticism as I think borrowing good ideas is often a good idea. (Incidentally, I also think that the new Humminbird ION saltwater MFD system -- which I got on the water in Lauderdale and will detail soon -- includes a number of multi-touch and other features that will turn heads.)

B_G_Zeus2_new_11-13.jpgAlso, introduced today was B&G's version of the new NSS hardware, Zeus 2 or Zeus (squared). Of course, it includes sailing features like SailTime and SailSteer, but perhaps even more interesting is how those useful data graphics are moving up into B&G's new H5000 instrument and autopilot system. H5000 seems to be a massive redesign that integrates lots of new and existing B&G gear with Zeus and NMEA 2000, but I'll leave it at that as Kees has taken a serious interest.

At METS Simrad is also highlighting two advanced GoFree developers, TripCon (PC Log) and Pocket Mariner (SeaNav 2.0). Fortunately, I've been testing both -- wind, depth, AIS, and more on my Pebble watch (holy cow!) -- and will report. Oh, and Navico announced that it is acquiring Consilium's professional radar business including products, R&D facility, engineering team - the works.

All this news, plus Garmin's huge product launch and much more METS not covered yet, confirms my feeling that marine electronics is growing faster and better than ever. And is even more fun, which is my excuse for closing with the NSS8 screen photograph I took last spring in the ICW. Helping me find my way is 4G radar, which is going to work even better with evo2, and that's StructureScan letting me know that I'm over smooth bottom, but, wow, those white images I scrolled back to are dolphin that played in Gizmo's bow wave.

NSS8_w_4G_and_StructureScan_showing_dolphins_cPanbo.jpg

Comments

They're small but there are some interesting evo2 screenshots at Hudson Marine: http://goo.gl/tEviru

Also some added dope on Simrad's FB page: http://goo.gl/fw2qZW

Plus this from a Navicat who shall remain unknown:

"Happy to give credit where it’s due but the Navman 6600 had the “Compass” with “birds-eye view” on C-Map before Humminbird could spell COG."

Posted by: Ben at November 19, 2013 5:43 PM | Reply

Go for it tomorrow Kees!
I hope they wiped my fingerprints;-)

Posted by: Hendrik at November 20, 2013 2:34 PM | Reply

Oh, how great! This is exactly the news I've been waiting for! The Scandinavian autumn just got brighter...

Posted by: Kim at November 20, 2013 3:16 PM | Reply

The fascia measurements are similar but not exactly the same.

Can someone clarify if these can be drop-in replacements or not?

Posted by: Xavier Itzmann at November 20, 2013 4:44 PM | Reply

I don't know for sure, Xavier, but I doubt that any of the new NSS evo2 models will simply drop into the whole previously occuppied by an NSS Sport.

These new models are focused on a high screen-to-bezel ratio and the screens are also wider aspect. So the new NSS9 is about the same width as the old NSS8 but more an inch less high. Dimensions for the new evo2 12-inch are not up but I bet it's even less high in comparison to the existing 12.

Maybe, though, Simrad will offer adapter bezel plates like Raymarine did when it went to a wider screen, narrower bezel design. Or you could probably make one.

Posted by: Ben in reply to Xavier Itzmann at November 20, 2013 5:48 PM | Reply

If I add a Sonic hub and Wi-Fi 1 to a NSS system do I still need the iphone dock or can I stream all my tunes from my iphone over Wi-FI to the Sonic Hub?

Posted by: Peter C. at November 24, 2013 4:14 PM | Reply

Hi i am a French new user
And to fit my boat for fishing with a cabin and a fly ,why don't use :

2 NSS EVO 2 + 1 IPAD and go free instead
1 processor NSO evo 2 + 2 monitor + 1 op40+ 1 ipad and go free

Posted by: demxav at November 25, 2013 4:19 AM | Reply

Peter, the SonicHub does not receive or output audio over Ethernet (WiFi), but I don't think that you actually need the dock to plug your iThing or Android media player into the SonicHub's USB port and stream music from it.

Fusion also has Bluetooth streaming accessories now but I don't know if either will work with the SonicHub. Anyone?

Posted by: Ben in reply to Peter C. at November 25, 2013 8:50 AM | Reply

BT100 module works when connected to Sonic Hub AUX in.

Posted by: Anonymous at November 25, 2013 12:41 PM | Reply

Thanks for the updates.
I realize now I might not be happy with bluetooth audio quality .
What I really want is a remote for the stereo.
Guess I am going to have to think about this.

Posted by: Peter C. at November 29, 2013 3:45 AM | Reply

Just updated my equipment to PC-based system:
Simrad, Raymarine and other brands just keep on changing models, do not support recent but older models, so i just gave up now. PC-based is much simpler ...

Posted by: Francis at December 1, 2013 12:28 PM | Reply

When are we going to hear from Kees on the new B&G stuff?

Posted by: Anonymous at December 16, 2013 1:32 PM | Reply

Sorry, I am up to my ears in my paying job and was suffering from a nasty cold.

Mostly better now so I hope to finish the entry this week.

Posted by: Kees in reply to Anonymous at December 17, 2013 3:01 AM | Reply

Hi, I'm new to this forum and I do not know if I'm posting this too late for this particular article. I have a new boat, or a "new" 1987 DeFever 47 POC that I am outfitting. The hull is basically good but it certainly needs new electronics.

Whatever I get I'm worried about breakdowns and the maintenance. I've heard bad things about everybody except for Furuno. The other issue with Furuno seems to be that it never breaks down so you never get to use their maintenance. Though it costs more that was what I decided to get for this boat.

I do not intend to go very far offshore at all. I will mainly be on the rivers and canals of the Great Loop. The advantages of this 4G broadband radar now appear to be sufficient to make me go with Simrad for my entire electronics suite. I have heard maintenance horror stories from about the time Simrad was bought by Navico. Is that all in the past now? Can I buy Simrad and expect that if something goes wrong I can get help? Maybe even hope that nothing will go wrong? I have looked but I can find no evidence that Furuno is getting broadband radar anytime in the near future.

Posted by: Jack Simpson at February 1, 2014 2:55 AM | Reply

Hi, Jack. Furuno's reputation for top notch service is virtually indisputable, as even the competition acknowledges it. But I do think that Simrad (Navico) has vastly improved their service program (and reliability level) in the last few years, and I know they're ambition is to be as good as Furuno.

Furuno, on the other hand, is challenged to offer the value and the wide array of peripheral devices that Simrad has these days. But then again, as good as 4G radar is, you certainly wouldn't be disappointed with a Furuno DRS radar instead. In other words, you have a tough decision, but you can't go too far wrong.

Posted by: Ben in reply to Jack Simpson at February 1, 2014 11:28 AM | Reply

I'm very much in the same position as Jack regarding Simrad and Furuno. I was completely convienced to put a new Simrad AP-70 pilot with their joystick remote on during this complete electronics upgrade. Although I've put a lot of Furuno equipment on board already, Simrad's legacy for pilots is well known. Then, a commercial boat electronics installer friend relayed horror stories post the Navico takeover. Then, my obsession with keeping everything N2K. Then, at the last Lauderdale boat show I hear a rumor that Furuno is releasing a new pilot this year (maybe April). Maybe I'm the only one who's chasing their tail over these matters.

Posted by: Bo Collier at February 2, 2014 8:23 AM | Reply

Bo,

Lots of us have been through the Navico horrors. I had a great Robertson autopilot...still the basis of the Simrad AP series, and a great Northstar multi-head chartplotter along with a Lowrance chartplotter for the dinghy. All needed support for some reason or another ..... and no one was home. I swore I would never again buy anything from Navico and went your route ala Furuno etc.

Well times have changed. I'm thinking hard about the new B&G autopilot (see "B&G H5000 tempts my racing heart" in Panbo)and I've already bought a Lowrance chartplotter for the dinghy to free myself of total dependence on Navionic charts,which while great, typically aren't the best for areas I need them most. Finally I'm thinking hard about a SIMRAD glass bridge display vs Furuno.....

So perhaps Altsheimers is setting in, or better, NAVICO is truly recovered.

Posted by: Don Joyce in reply to Bo Collier at February 2, 2014 11:20 AM | Reply

Thanks Don. Comments from folks like you, who are living it daily, is a big help.

Posted by: Anonymous in reply to Don Joyce at February 3, 2014 7:00 AM | Reply

In your article on this page you note the NSS evo2 models will support dual range on the 4G. When I bought the NSS12, NSS8 and 4G I was told that would happen with the NSS as soon as the software update was available -- is that now possible on the NSS series?

More important, since I am now replacing electronics on another boat is the dual range supported across all sizes of the NSS evo2 series. I have heard that is only true for the 12 and 16 size. Can you confirm that it works on the 9?

Posted by: Michael Kane at February 15, 2014 11:15 AM | Reply

NSS original is not capable of doing the dual radar range split screen presentation... the processor is not powerful enough to do the 2 PPI's. NSS evo2 on the other hand will do dual range 4G on all sizes from 7 - 16:.

Posted by: Anonymous at March 14, 2014 10:42 PM | Reply